Maintenance Laborer- willing to train!
Located in Champaign,IL
Position Summary / Objectives
Primary objective of this position is to maintain the appearance of offices and common areas by performing custodial tasks of a manual nature. Assists Maintenance Mechanics in skilled trades by performing duties of lesser skill such as furnishing supplies, materials, and tools, or by actually performing some elements of the trade which require only rudimentary knowledge. May perform duties of a semiskilled nature under general supervision relative to the crew assigned.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide Custodial Services to Offices and Community Facilities
- Clean, strip, wax, and buff floors
- Clean lavatories
- Clean windows
- Empty trash
- Dust and polish furniture
- Change light bulbs
- Sweep sidewalks and other paved areas
- Police grounds around offices, community buildings, and high rises to keep free of trash
- Mow lawns, prunes trees and shrubbery to maintain a neat and healthy condition and appearance, fertilize, till, sod, and shovel snow as needed
- Report any unsafe or hazardous conditions encountered or observed on or in any Authority property or building
- Other Duties
- Move and carry equipment, appliances, etc.
- Assist in preparing vacant units for rental by cleaning apartments, removing discards and debris, stripping, waxing and buffing floors
- Use a variety of hand tools and implements such as but not limited to: rakes, shovels, pliers, hedge clippers, power mowers, trimmers, etc.
- Spackle and mend nail holes and simple wall cracks
- Other duties, as required
Responsibility for Relationships
Daily personal contact with direct supervisor or Maintenance Monitor to receive job assignments, have work reviewed, and discuss problems and their resolution.
Occasional personal contact with other maintenance employees when providing assistance in performing vacant unit prep or in accepting instruction.
Occasional personal contact with office personnel when performing custodial duties.
Frequent personal contact with tenants while performing work in or near their apartments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Working knowledge of purpose and use of janitorial and cleaning equipment and supplies
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to work/inspect in wet, damp, hot, cold, or dusty places
- Ability to stoop and kneel in order to gain access to work areas
- Ability to work while standing for extended periods of time
- Ability to drive a truck
- Ability to move or carry objects or materials such as sinks, counter tops, solid core and metal doors, debris, floor tile, fan motors and other HVAC parts, etc.
- Ability to lift heavy objects such as refrigerators or ranges into and out of trucks or other carriers with the assistance of other maintenance staff. Lifting (ground to waist level) requirements may exceed 80 lbs. on a regular basis
- Ability to perform manual work such as digging, shoveling, and sanding
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
This position is very demanding physically. It requires physical strength and stamina and full range of motion. This position requires lifting (50 lbs. or more), bending, stooping, kneeling, and climbing. All of the work by this position is performed outside, inside buildings, and inside apartments. The incumbent must sometimes work under adverse conditions such as bad or uncomfortable weather, tight confines, or dirty areas. This position is required to travel to different work sites, therefore, the ability to drive a truck or van is essential.
- High school graduate or GED.
- General understanding of buildings and/or grounds maintenance.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the required knowledge and abilities, may be considered sufficient.
- Must have valid driver’s license and be insurable on agency’s commercial insurance policy.
- Full-time use of personal vehicle.
If interested please contact Ben at 217-355-8500
Express Office: Champaign
1001 North Mattis Avenue
Champaign, IL 61821