Legal Practice Assistant
Located in Dallas,TX
Position Title: Practice Assistant
Dallas law office is seeking a Practice Assistant to provide secretarial and administrative support to attorneys and assigned legal personnel; maintain positive client relations; maintain the integrity of attorney-client confidentiality; and other assigned Firm-related administrative tasks under general supervision.
• Performs secretarial support, including composing legal documents, memos, correspondence, and other items of a confidential and complex nature from multiple sources, such as verbal, dictation, hand-written documents and e-mail, to ensure accuracy and completion of assigned tasks as required by scheduled deadlines.
• Enters daily timekeeping information utilizing the Firm’s technological resources.
• Proofreads all material produced by the Billing Department, corrects entries as needed or deemed appropriate by legal personnel, ensures timely return to the Billing Department for final processing.
• Prepares New Business Memorandum and coordinates with Business Intake Department regarding Conflicts Checks.
• Works with filing assistants ensuring timeliness and accuracy of all files. Assists filing assistants with preparation of closed files for warehouse storage.
• Ability to handle telephone interaction responding to non-routine and routine matters.
• Opens, reviews and sorts all incoming mail. Alerts legal personnel of deadline-sensitive materials or correspondence requiring immediate attention.
• Maintains calendar and coordinate both internal and external meetings.
• Monitors and accurately maintains timekeepers’ dockets.
• Coordinates projects to, and interacts with, all support departments on behalf of assigned legal personnel to ensure all projects are processed within prescribed deadlines. Reviews returned projects for accuracy and ensure all directions were followed.
• Greets clients and visitors when requested to do so by assigned legal personnel; escorts same to appropriate conference area.
• When requested, responsible for client communication via electronic mail.
• Attends trainings classes a minimum of 12 hours annually to maximize personal skills and use of technology provided by the Firm.
• Other responsibilities as assigned by manager.
This position requires a minimum of 2-3 years of legal, administrative and/or secretarial experience. A genuine interest in maintaining a career within the legal industry. Excellent verbal and written communication with strong proofreading skills. Possesses outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills. Highly efficient with great attention-to-detail. Proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint. Types a minimum of 50 WPM. High School Diploma required; Bachelor’s degree a plus. Basic computer skills are required, with working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Basic knowledge of Elite Enterprise and Adobe are also needed. Requires regular and predictable attendance during the assigned work schedule.
• Recent college graduate
• Polished & professional
• Personable; Outgoing
• Proactive in thinking
Necessary Skills the Candidate Must Have:
• Good communication skills; verbal & written
• Ability to multi-task
• Proficient in Word; Excellent typing skills
• Must have desire to work as a legal secretary (not a paralegal)
• 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
• 37.50 hour work week; Non-Exempt Position
• Rich benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401k, vacation/personal time, parking, etc.
Express Office: Dallas (North)
14755 Preston Road
Dallas, TX 75254