Farmers Market Manager
Located in Redding, CA
Salary: $20+ depending on experience
Express Employment Professionals, named ClearlyRated Best of Staffing® Client and Talent Awards winner for the past 7 years, is hiring for a local client company in Shasta County. We help people in our community find work every day. Express Employment Professionals in Redding wants to make a difference locally and across North America. With more than 800 locations across the U.S., Canada, and South Africa, we are on a mission to put a million people to work annually.
About the Client:
Express Employment is working with a local, multi-location Farmer’s Market seeking a Manager.
About the Position:
The Farmers Market Manager is the on-site person in charge at a market. Market managers prepare vendor locations and equipment for each market, lead the set-up and break-down of all signs, tents, cones, marketing supplies, and oversee and uphold the integrity of the association.
Market Managers assist the Board of Directors with building and maintaining positive relationships with vendors, community partners, neighboring businesses, and shoppers to create a safe and vibrant gathering place where vendors can prosper. Market Managers have a thorough understanding of the SGA mission and goals and keep informed of best practices for farmers market management by attending occasional conferences and conducting research on behalf of the organization.
Job Description/ Responsibilities:
Market Managers are comfortable leading and working in a team environment to communicate ideas, identify potential problems, provide feedback, and offer creative solutions to the Board of Directors when necessary. They are responsible for enforcing policies, best practices, and the Rules and Regulations of the Association while ensuring smooth and safe operations of markets. Successful Market Managers possess strong customer service skills, an ability to work under time constraints, excellent conﬂict resolution skills, a positive and team-oriented attitude, and the ability to think on their feet in a fast-paced environment.
- Understand the needs of market participants to create a booth layout designed for success and ease of ﬂow.
- Ensure all necessary equipment and supplies are transported to market and are kept in good working order. Including proper storage of items when not in use.
- Ensure complete and attractive market set up and break down; includes assuring safety, accessibility, and trash removal.
- Ensure all appropriate permits, licenses, signs, and tent weights are present at each vendor booth.
- Use “will call” list to fill vendor vacancies as needed to ensure a full market.
- Create map for each market and assign stall spaces as needed.
- Direct safe traﬃc of vehicles operating in and around market site.
- Maintain supportive relationships with vendors, maintain awareness of their products and practices and work to promote their success.
- Troubleshoot, solve problems, and resolve conﬂicts as needed.
- Manage scheduling and communication logistics with vendors in advance of each market attendance. (Check the Association’s voicemail daily to ensure accurate attendance for each market.)
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to curate and maintain balanced, successful marketplaces.
- Coordinate with Board of Directors to recruit vendors as needed to enhance and balance out the offerings of each individual market.
- Maintain awareness of the SGA’s application process for new and potential vendors.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors for awareness and enforcement of approved vendors and products.
- Perform potential/occasional site visits to vendors/producers as needed or recommended by the Board of Directors.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the Rules & Regulations and Bylaws of the SGA and create policies and procedures where needed to ensure the success of the organization overall. (i.e. first responder/first aid service policy currently needed.)
- Become familiar with and assist vendors with compliance regarding laws, regulations, and best practices pertaining to the sale of their product. (i.e. Health Department, Department of Agriculture etc…)
- Maintain first aid kits for all markets.
Teamwork & Leadership
- Assist President of the SGA in hiring and training any new market staff.
- Attend all general membership meetings throughout the season and assist the Board of Directors with necessary planning, preparations, record keeping, and reporting as needed. (General Membership meetings are held on a Sunday in January, March, and October.)
- Provide guidance and leadership to market staff and volunteers regarding customer service, market logistics, and compliance.
- Work collaboratively to improve and expand eﬃciency of operations.
- Encourage a heathy market culture. Market Managers will be expected to encourage and maintain appropriate, professional, positive, and productive behavior at all times.
Sales, Data Tracking & Reporting
- Distribute load sheets to each vendor at every market.
- Accurately track and maintain all vendor load sheets, payments, market cash box, along with all merchandise of the association.
- Maintain EBT transaction machines, logs, and reports based on manuals and FIS instructions.
- Reconcile vendor payments against load sheets after every market and complete summary sheets.
- Track and record vendor attendance for Quarterly CDFA reports and record vendor sales data.
- Prepare bank deposit sheet and make bank deposits after each market day.
- Show initiative to improve data collection and reporting processes based on diﬀerent market environments and situations with the overall goal of maintaining eﬃciency and accuracy.
Customer and Community Relations
- Build relationships and maintain professional contact with lease-holders, neighbors, partners, entertainers, sponsors, and other market aﬃliates.
- Educate shoppers about methods of payment accepted at the markets including all tokens and matching programs, vouchers, SGA gift certiﬁcates etc..
- Assist with marketing and promotion of the farmers market by attending networking meetings, distributing ﬂyers, and attending other community relationship building eﬀorts that may arise.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to identify and execute possible partnerships and outreach opportunities and coordinate volunteers where needed.
- Participate in planning and execution of all events and activities at the markets.
- Manage the SGA’s social media presence. Currently FaceBook and Instagram.
- Regularly post high quality images of products and vendor stories for each market as well as highlight a schedule of events and entertainment that will be at each market. Post a morning video from each market location.
This is a physical, public, and outdoor job that requires the ability to lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds, set up canopies, carry large boxes, and assist the association with the creation of a ﬁrst responder support policy in emergencies. Working conditions include, but are not limited to, rain, heat, and wind.
- Two years of leadership experience with farmers markets, event management, customer service or other related work.
- Two years of experience working outdoors in various weather conditions.
- Two to four years higher education or equivalent professional experience.
- Access to personal vehicle and valid driver’s license.
- Thorough and respectful verbal and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented with regard to data tracking and reporting.
- Competence when making quick decisions about safety and emergency needs that may arise.
- Comfort working with online data bases, social media platforms, and proﬁciency with the Microsoft suite of applications. Experience with QuickBooks may also be a plus.
- Experience leading and working in a team environment.
- Ability to understand and uphold rules and regulations of the organization and must be comfortable with holding others accountable.
- Passion for local food and farms; knowledge of community food systems is a plus.
- Sense of humor and ability to go with the ﬂow in all weather conditions is a must.
December-May (Off season) 10-20 hours per week TBD based on administrative needs: Administrative functions include checking voicemails, emails, and processing mail and paperwork. Meetings with the board of directors monthly, and General Membership meetings in January and March.
June-November (Market season) 30-40 hours per week: Employee must be on site at four-five market locations with ability to perform additional administrative tasks remotely. The hours below reflect the busy season in full swing. Some additional time may be needed for administrative paperwork, reports, and other logistical needs.
Tuesdays in Redding - 6am-1pm (7 hrs)
Wednesdays in Burney - 2pm-6:30pm (4.5 hrs)
Thursdays in Anderson - 6am-1pm (7 hrs)
Saturdays in Redding - 5am-1pm (8 hrs)
Sundays in Redding - 6am-1pm (7 hrs)
*Applicants must have one Sunday available for general membership meetings in January, March, and October.
$20.00+ per hour depending on experience
You are attentive, responsive, and can take control of situations.
You are personable, determined, and driven to make a difference. You can see beyond a problem, respond to situations in crafty ways, and put a positive and professional spin on any situation.
Multitasking and professionalism are natural habits.
You thrive on succeeding, overcoming challenges, and have an exceptional work ethic.
Friends and co-workers describe you as a highly organized and productive person.
You are a team player and an individual performer who can quickly connect with others inside and outside of the company.
You naturally possess a “can get it done attitude” even when the odds are not in your favor.
You are very organized and disciplined and can effectively manage multiple conflicting priorities and deadlines in a rapidly changing environment.
You are reliable and are always looking for what to do next.
You are at least 18 years of age.
Pre-employment screenings if required by the client
Express Employment Professionals – Redding
2697 Victor Avenue
Redding, CA 96002
530-221-7044 call or text
Express Employment Professionals is an equal opportunity Employer.
Express Office: Redding
2697 Victor Avenue
Redding, CA 96002