Located in Grand Rapids, MI
Salary: $18.00 - $19.00/HR.
HR Assistant Job Summary:
A food manufacturer located in Grand Rapids is seeking an HR Assistant to assist with day to day operations in human resources including administration of policies, procedures, and programs for recruitment/employment, benefits administration, employee relations, training and development, compensation, onboarding, affirmative action, and employment law compliance in a fast-paced, busy, manufacturing environment.
HR Assistant Responsibilities
- Obtain a job requisition for all open position and ensure we have proper approvals/justifications
- Post open positions internally and externally
- Pre-screen applications and resumes and phone screen qualified candidates
- Maintain applicant-tracking database for each candidate and position
- Coordinate interviews with the Supervisors/Managers
- Create offer letters and extend job offers to candidates
- Conduct background checks
- Schedule pre-employment screenings (DOT/Non-DOT Drug test, Audio, and Functional Capacity Exam (FCE))
- Coordinate start date and new hire orientation paperwork
- Conduct new hire orientation
- Close out job(s) in applicant-tracking system and send rejection letters to candidates
- Enter employee information into HRIS systems by sending Payroll Action Forms to the business office
- Assist in reviewing and distributing information to inform employees regarding benefits and training programs including unemployment compensation, insurance, leave time (FMLA), retirement plans, cafeteria plan benefits, continuation of benefits (COBRA), Leadership training and the Random Drug Testing program
- Responsible for coordinating leaves of absence with appropriate laws such as FMLA, work comp and ADA
- Responsible for worker’s compensation follow up with Safety Specialist regarding injury return to work dates
- Create and maintain personnel records for current and terminated employees
- Track absences for employees and follow up with Supervisors/Managers
- Assist in general human resources functions by preparing and/or updating a variety of legally required and other records, reports, and documentation: COBRA, I-9s, and EEO-1
- Keep employee information up-to-date utilizing a Human Resources Information System (HRIS)
- Researches and performs work on special projects as assigned
- Maintain employee anniversary and employee recognition programs
HR Assistant Qualifications
- Associate’s degree in human resources, business or related field
- 2+ years of HR, recruiting, employee relations, benefits, leave, payroll, and HRIS work experience
- Strong customer service, analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with people in potentially stressful situations
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
About Specialized Recruiting Group, an Express Employment Professionals Company
Specialized Recruiting Group, an Express Employment Professionals company, is proud to serve the West Michigan business community with a full offering of recruiting, training, and human resource services. Since we opened our doors, we have focused on not only helping companies find top talent, but also helping them develop and retain talent.
Since 1996, Express Employment Professionals of Grand Rapids has been empowered by our work of connecting people with great jobs and great companies. We are energized by our mission of helping people be successful. We love making a difference in people’s lives and careers. To us, it’s more than a job, it’s an opportunity. It’s belief in your abilities and in your talents and in you. It’s more than a job. It’s your future.
View all available jobs here.
Express Office: Grand Rapids
1760 44th Street Southwest
Grand Rapids, MI 49519