Located in Shrewsbury, MA
Dock Worker Job Description
We are looking to hire a hard-working and efficient Dock Worker to load and unload cargo on and off vessels. The Dock Worker''s responsibilities include unmooring ships upon departure, maintaining an accurate record of damaged or misplaced cargo, following loading plans, and participating in all training programs as required. You should also be able to secure the cargo before departure using rigging and lashings.
To be successful as a Dock Worker, you should be able to effectively communicate with other Dock Workers to avoid accidents and injuries. Ultimately, a top-performing Dock Worker should be physically fit and able to safely operate heavy machinery.
Dock Worker Responsibilities:
- Installing the gangway to receive incoming ships.
- Ensuring that the oil spill containment boom is in good working order.
- Securing ships by tying them to the moorings.
- Loading and unloading cargo using suitable material-handling equipment, such as forklifts, hand trucks, pallet jacks, cranes, power winches, and grain trimmers.
- Inspecting the unloaded cargo for any damages or irregularities.
- Tallying the unloaded cargo and inputting information onto spreadsheets required by management.
- Communicating with other Dock Workers using handheld radios to ensure the safe loading and unloading of cargo.
- Ensuring that the dock areas are clean and free of debris in order to prevent accidents and injuries.
Dock Worker Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- A valid forklift license.
- Proven experience working as a Dock Worker.
- Excellent physical stamina.
- The ability to operate heavy machinery.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills.
Express Office: Worcester
1241 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01603