Internship Coordinator - Jefferson County
Located in Bend, OR
Salary: Competitive comp & benefits
If you have a passion for connecting people and making an impact on your community, this is a great opportunity for you to serve as the Internship Coordinator for Jefferson County. In many aspects, this role serves a as a matchmaker for businesses and students of all levels.
Where You Get to Live!
Jefferson County is the gateway to the Central Oregon region. Surrounded by mountains, lakes and rivers, Jefferson County is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise! Check out the sights and sounds of Madras at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=IHmTD0AYqfE.
What You Get to Do!
Primary responsibilities are to coordinate work experience opportunities for young people in Madras and Warm Springs with a specific focus on efforts to catalyze employers to create internships, apprenticeships and other meaningful short-term employment. The Internship Coordinator is responsible for the overall development, implementation, daily operation, and evaluation of the Youth Career Connect program within the school district boundaries. The Coordinator works with local business leaders to promote the program and assess employer needs for qualified internship candidates. The Coordinator also works with schools and non-profits to lead workshops and develop opportunities for young people with regards to work experience and work readiness skills. Objectives and outcomes are set through the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) by the Internship Advisory Committee made up of representatives from Better Together, COCC, EDCO, STEM Hub, members of the business community, and the Madras School District. Performance evaluations will be based upon completion of assignments and results obtained. The Coordinator reports directly to the EDCO Bend Internship Coordinator & Regional Managing Director.
- Develop business contacts and internship sites, bringing new businesses on board to host youth interns. Utilizes Chamber of Commerce and other client databases to create active lists of employers willing to mentor students and encourage internship opportunities at their place of employment.
- Work with designated school and non-profit program staff to recruit and provide individual advising to students interested in having meaningful work opportunities.
- Work with businesses to develop internships.
- Match students with companies to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Support businesses to be successful at hosting student interns, including consultation around program design, position descriptions, human resources options, and other support during the internship term.
- Design and implement marketing strategies to identify, attract and involve students, employers and faculty (K-12, COCC, OSU-Cascades) in the internship program.
- Assemble and maintain files for each participating student including documentation of progress and related paperwork such as: resumes, agreement forms, assignments, and employer evaluations. Maintain database of student referrals, placements and outcomes and match them up with employer needs.
- Coordinate additional activities including: internship site visits, intern spotlights, internship fairs, and other special programming. Organize and deliver presentations related to the Program, the development of critical workplace skills and the career planning and job search process.
- Serve as a liaison between employers, the school district, non-profit partners, COCC, and OSU-Cascades regarding administrative and operating requirements of the program.
- Assist in identifying, developing and maintaining internship opportunities while also maintaining positive relationships with employers.
- Collaborate with internship advisors within schools and programs to provide high quality and academically relevant work experiences whenever possible/practicable.
- Facilitate the resolution of concerns brought forward by employers, students and/or faculty.
- Maintain automated database and web page. Prepare progress reports and semester reports concerning the Program.
- Participate in professional development activities and other outreach activities promoting internships in the community.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor's degree in field relevant to position requirements is preferred, however a combination of relevant work experience may substitute for a Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working with business groups, internships, placement, student development, employment recruiting, sales, or other relevant experience.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with business leaders, students, faculty, staff, and the public is paramount. This is not a work-from-home opportunity.
- While the position will have several resources for feedback and evaluation, the Coordinator must have a track record and aptitude for working autonomously and with initiative.
- A focus on detail and quality without sacrificing responsiveness in a fast-paced environment.
- Current knowledge of the job market and occupations, industry trends and area companies is a bonus initially, but is critical for long-term success.
- Public speaking to both small and large groups may be required, and general communication via phone, email, in writing, and in person is an important aspect of this role.
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities is also required.
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office programs, a CRM database and other office equipment is necessary.
To Apply: For confidential consideration, please submit resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Express Office: Bend
61379 South Highway 97
Bend, OR 97702