Enterprise Data Architect Lead
Located in Bend, OR
Salary: Competitive comp & benefits
A leading Central Oregon technology team is seeking an experienced Enterprise Data Architect Lead!
Where You Get to Live!
Bend, Oregon is the mountain town that has it all! Located in the in the shadows of the Cascade Mountains and surrounded by numerous lakes and rivers, Central Oregon is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise. Check out the sights and sounds of Bend at: https://vimeo.com/200038114
What You Get to Do!
Reporting to the Business Intelligence Portfolio Manager, the Lead Enterprise Data Architect sets the standards and architects the data structures, processes and procedures for staging accurate, timely, high quality data critical to the reporting, analytics and data science functions, and for publishing data to downstream systems and applications. This individual will be an expert developer of efficient, secure, cloud-based data architecture and possess expertise in crafting robust, practical data solutions within a DEVOPS framework.
The incumbent leads a team of offshore and onshore data engineers and administrators who build and operate Les Schwab’s Enterprise Data Warehouse and Master Data Management systems that serve the BI Portfolio and other downstream systems and applications.
Using an agile DEVOPS methodology, this role will coordinate with Business Intelligence solution developers, analysts and data scientists and other external teams dependent on Enterprise Data to set priorities for upcoming sprints and balance maintenance and new development work. In the longer horizon, the incumbent will set the strategy for Enterprise Data Architecture and Data Management and will work with Enterprise Architecture to develop complementary long-term plans for technologies.
- Responsible for the vision and best practice operations of enterprise data warehouses and their integrative architectures to support a variety of business solutions and use cases.
- Select and implement appropriate technologies and methods to automate data preparation and data movement with Les Schwab standard data structures, tools, and platforms.
- Implement and maintain business rules for mastered data in enterprise data stores and develop future-proof mechanisms to expose data to downstream users and applications.
Platform Maintenance & Support
- Collaborate with data analysts, business stakeholders, and analytics practitioners to understand their requirements for staged data.
- Collaborate with project teams and other enterprise architects to understand requirements for staged and published enterprise data.
- Set standards for integrating and maintaining the content and quality of internal and external data sources.
- Develop support methodologies for the delivery of ad hoc data sets to business analysts, data analysts, data scientists, teams developing proofs-of-concept, and other use cases.
- Advise data engineers and lead the design of data models for unstructured, relational and dimensional database schemas for a range of use cases from targeted reporting solutions to support of downstream applications.
- Manage the development and maintenance of physical database tables, views, and flat files for analytics research projects, reporting, and analytics applications.
- Architect data transformation, preparation, and data movement processes for a variety of scenarios from simple file-based export/import to enterprise-grade ETL workflows connecting multiple structured and unstructured endpoints.
- Manage the development and quality assurance of complex SQL scripts and queries in support of reporting and analytics applications.
- Work in an agile team environment to manage dependencies between solution developers and the data warehouse platforms.
- Develop processes to monitor and troubleshoot manual and automated data preparation and data movement processes.
- Collaborate with Information and Digital Services colleagues to develop and socialize standards and best practices to promote a culture of data management excellence.
- Manage and catalog enterprise data and enterprise data publication services.
- Lead a team of direct and matrixed employee/contractor resources including data engineers, quality engineers, solution administrators and application specialists.
- Provide mentoring and expert advice to empower Digital Services colleagues to understand and utilize analytics data products, services and resources.
- Provide mentoring and expert advice for the development of complex and high-performance SQL.
- Manage and continuously improve data work flows and query performance.
- Create and maintain data dictionaries, data model diagrams, data mapping documents, operational procedures and related documentation to support efficient communications and reuse.
- Own the design and implementation of security roles and permissions that control access to Les Schwab’s Enterprise Data.
- Monitor, measure, and report the status of team members’ work.
- Operate the Data Warehouse Platform team as a dynamic learning organization supportive of other teams.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor’s degree (BS or BA) in STEM related discipline or equivalent
- 10 or more years relevant professional experience, preferably showing a progression from data engineering to data architecture, team leadership, and responsibility for data warehouse solutions
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment to deliver data services or application solutions; agile team experience a plus
- A minimum 6 years experience delivering data engineering, data modeling and data integration solutions
- A minimum 3 years experience performing advanced data engineering and setting standards for quality and best practices in data solution design
- A minimum 2 years experience as the lead architect responsible for data warehouse solutions and the end-to-end delivery process from requirements development to business validation
- Demonstrated professional experience leading teams of data engineers, setting standards, policies, methodologies and quality assurance procedures
- Advanced proficiency in and passion for SQL; multiple vendors a plus; experience with Snowflake a plus
- Advanced proficiency developing data movement, integration, and/or ETL solutions with enterprise-grade platforms such as Boomi, Birst, SSIS, Dataiku, Alteryx, or similar
- Experience supporting, operating, and troubleshooting production data movement, integration, and/or ETL processes
- Strong understanding of logical and physical data modeling theory and practice; ability to describe the characteristics and applicable use cases for normalized vs dimensional designs
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing analytic data models: reporting databases, data warehouses, data marts, and/or data cubes; able to create and execute DDL scripts
- Understanding and command of various data structure concepts including traditional RDB, NoSQL, and unstructured data; experience with geographic data (points, polygons, raster) a plus
- Familiarity with reporting, business intelligence, and analytics solution architectures; command of concepts and terminology; able to relate data engineering deliverables to these use cases
- Familiarity with data security and privacy issues and accommodation of these issues in data warehouse design
- Demonstrated professional experience writing and maintaining data management documentation such as data dictionaries, data models, and integration data maps; experience using tools such as Erwin
- Proficiency and demonstrated professional experience working with flat file data formats including delimited files, XML, and JSON.
- Practical experience using solution delivery collaboration software such as Service Now, Jira, TFS, or similar
To Apply: For confidential consideration, please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Express Office: Bend
61379 South Highway 97
Bend, OR 97702