Product Design / DfX Engineer
Located in Bend, OR
Salary: Competitive comp & benefits
A leading global organization is seeking an experienced Product Design Engineer!
Where You Get to Live!
Bend, Oregon is the mountain town that has it all! Located in the in the shadows of the Cascade Mountains and surrounded by numerous lakes and rivers, Central Oregon is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise. Check out the sights and sounds of Bend at: https://vimeo.com/200038114
What You Get to Do!
We are currently looking for dynamic, creative leaders to develop and support our next-generation product concepts. These products will manifest in multiple delivery platforms that will be used on a variety of applications around the world. The Product Design / DfX Engineer will develop and support product concepts that can be utilized for multiple finished product formulations for global customers. The Product Design / DfX Engineer will be responsible for translating product functional requirements into detailed component and material specifications, developing product performance tests and managing suppliers that provide outsourced components.
This role will extend from product design into product manufacturing, where the Product Design / DfX Engineer will support the specification of equipment and will lead new product launches with supplier qualification and production line trials. This role provides a unique opportunity to take a product concept all the way from a sketch to a high-volume commercial product on sale in multiple markets. This person will interface closely with both customer-facing teams and internal departments, including Marketing, Sales, Field Service, Regulatory, Sourcing, and Manufacturing.
- Apply DFSS (DOE, QFD / CPM, robust design, mathematical modeling, reliability analysis) and FEA to provide recommendations and characterize processes, designs and product solutions.
- Early partnership with marketing and customer facing teams to identify design elements that are new, unique or difficult and enable their realization through all engineering verification and validation cycles.
- Drive DfX activities in the product development cycle to meet or exceed product targets (ex. Manufacturability, scale, quality, reliability, safety, cost).
- Drive clarity among peers and senior management by distilling complex technical challenges, outlining options, and providing recommendations.
- Translating product functional requirements into quantified product, component and material specifications to evaluate product designs.
- Developing test criteria for evaluating the quality of products at the end of the manufacturing process.
Supplier Evaluation & Qualification:
- Identifying candidate suppliers for materials and components.
- Assessing supplier technical capabilities for sourcing decisions.
- Supporting the qualification of new suppliers with on-site visits and quality control assessments.
New Product Launch:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and external vendors to identify, characterize and deliver manufacturing processes that enable the commercialization of unique and emerging technologies in new product categories.
- Devising trials for demonstration of production process capability pertaining to new products.
- Analyzing trial data to identify issues and propose improvements.
- Defining material specification, SOP, and process parameter requirements that are compatible with our goals for safety, quality, delivery and cost in mass production.
What You Will Need:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
- Three or more years of experience in an engineering role involving product development or manufacturing.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems while mitigating risks to resources and deadlines.
- Concurrent engineering experience with cross-functional teams.
- Proficiency in CAD/CAM software required, SolidWorks or Autodesk Fusion 360 preferred.
- Experience with analytical tools for assessing design performance, like Finite Element Analysis.
- Understanding of and experience with tools for characterizing and validating processes, including Statistical Process Control and Design of Experiments, including tools like JMP and Minitab.
- Understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Enthusiasm for teamwork at multiple levels and across multiple functions of the organization.
- Strong written and oral communication skill
- Travel to domestic and overseas vendors and factory sites as required.
To Apply: For confidential consideration, please submit resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Express Office: Bend
61379 South Highway 97
Bend, OR 97702