Economic Development Director - Southern Deschutes County
Located in Bend, OR
Salary: Competitive comp & benefits
Do you have a passion to be involved and make an impact in the Central Oregon community? Economic Development for Central Oregon (EDCO; www.edcoinfo.com) is seeking an economic development leader for the southern Deschutes County (Sunriver/La Pine) region. This is a full-time salaried and benefited role.
Who We Are
Founded in 1981, EDCO is a private, non-profit corporation supported by private and public members and stakeholders. Although still a small and nimble team, EDCO has grown to be the largest private economic development organization in Oregon and is a recognized leader in the industry nationwide. Our mission is to create a diversified local economy and a strong base of middle-class jobs in Central Oregon. To do this, we focus on helping companies do the following:
Move. We guide employers outside the region through the relocation process as a resource for regional data, incentives, talent, site selection, and more.
Start. We mentor scalable young companies from concept to exit on issues such as access to capital, critical expertise, and strategy. Our goal: be a top 10 place in the nation for startups.
Grow. We partner with local traded-sector companies to help them expand in our region.
Where You Get To Live
This position is based in the community of La Pine with a drop in office in Sunriver – at the heart of Oregon’s best water (100 lakes, rivers and streams and some of the best fishing in the state) and outdoor recreation (skiing, hiking, snowmobiling, mountain biking). Sunriver was Oregon’s first destination resort with three world-class golf courses, water parks, spas, and more than 40 miles of paved biking and walking trails. La Pine is Oregon’s newest city to incorporate, and has been in a steady trend of growth and revitalization, offering some of the most affordable house prices in the Central Oregon region. Check out the assets and opportunities La Pine has to offer businesses at: http://www.midstateelectric.coop/content/economic-development and the Sunriver active outdoor lifestyle at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBgize6r69I.
The ideal candidate will live in southern Deschutes County to be most effective in the communities they serve. Although work is often done behind the scenes, this is not conducive for homeworking as it can be a rather high-profile local leadership position.
What You Get To Do
Few jobs offer the opportunity to truly make a difference in the communities where we live. Economic development, and more specifically this role with EDCO, is one of those rare opportunities to play a pivotal role in building a strong local economy that is the foundation for families, schools, health care, government, and nonprofits. This leadership position helps companies move, start and grow within the Sunriver and La Pine areas, and thereby assist in creating or retaining primary employment in the communities of southern Deschutes County, which are among the fastest growing places in the nation. The SLED Director participates with a local advisory board of local volunteer leaders to develop goals and objectives for the program which closely follow EDCO’s regional Strategic Plan but are customized locally. Additionally, the SLED Director is directly responsible for working with Sunriver and La Pine area leaders to assist in projects, initiatives and activities that directly or indirectly make the community an easier, more cost effective and friendlier place in which to do business. You will manage relationships with City/County officials, advisory board partners, business clients, and the public. The ability to maintain professional confidentiality is critical to this position.
In this role, among other things, you will:
- Coordinate the business development program including contact with business owners/managers, follow-up calls, client visits, correspondence, information requests, research, and proposals.
- As prospective clients respond, qualify and recruit them to Sunriver or La Pine, serving as a facilitator between client and other economic development entities including EDCO. Arrange meetings as required with banks, the college or any other economic development assistance organizations, encourage clients to visit and arrange tours/meetings as required, work with client as needed from beginning to end.
- Assemble committees, taskforces, and workgroups as needed comprised of key leaders from various sectors for both business development and strategic projects that will assist key economic development efforts.
- Coordinate, collaborate and communicate with other local, regional and state business development organizations. Refer clients to other organizations or agencies whenever possible and appropriate.
- Maintain client management computer database for all Sunriver and La Pine area primary employers, leads and pending projects for firms specifically interested in Sunriver or La Pine.
- Working with EDCO, update annually and oversee production of publications and other marketing or informational materials pertinent to the program.
- Generate activity reports for EDCO and the Sunriver/La Pine Economic Development (SLED) advisory board on a monthly basis.
- Complete special projects or tasks as assigned by the EDCO CEO.
- Attend, when necessary, local, regional, state or national meetings or trade shows on behalf of the organization and community.
- Coordinate with Executive Director and SLED advisory board to develop annual budget for the program and activities.
What You Need:
- Economic development experience is a plus but not required. We train self-starters. Our most successful local directors bring a wide variety of experience including sales, public/government relations, real estate or project development, business finance, business management, and other fields that require simultaneous management/development of many pieces and parts.
- Experience in previous roles that required a high level of collaboration, organization and leadership. Some specific skills that are useful are networking, meeting facilitation and project management.
- Ability to work well independently and with initiative. You see what needs to be done and make it happen! You are ok with some level of ambiguity….
- Capability to get things done!
- Enthusiasm, professionalism and accountability; with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to be part of a fun, dedicated collaborative team that rolls up their sleeves and helps each other when needed.
- Proven experience effectively communicating complex information.
To Apply: For confidential consideration, please submit resume to: email@example.com
Express Office: Bend
61379 South Highway 97
Bend, OR 97702